Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Flora and Fauna


One thing that I've come to really enjoy about my daily runs is the amazing plant and animal life that thrives along the paths surrounding my house.

I don't run on the paths every day and I never run the same route two days in a row for fear of encountering a creeper. But the days that I do run the paths I enjoy taking in all of the amazing scenery.

Here is a partial list of the wildlife that I've enjoyed watching throughout my summer runs:

Animals
Deer (one so close the other day I could have reached out from the path and touched it)
Chipmunks
Squirrels
Groundhogs

Birds- and this is just a small list, I cannot identify all of them- but I kinda want to take up bird watching as a hobby now (who cares if I am not a retired old man)
Bluejays - my personal favorite
Cardinals
Orioles
Crows
Kingfishers
Sparrows
Woodpeckers
Morning Doves
Carolina Chickadees

and lots of different butterflies.

Anyone have a favorite place to run?


1 comment:

Brendan McIntyre said...

After having run our hills enough, I'd say anywhere flat. Beaches can be fun, but also sometime difficult (and hot). Amherst Bike Path was always fun....relatively flat and plenty of changing scenery.