Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ice Ice Baby





Not that "Ice Ice Baby" and yes this child of the 80's does know that the bassline for that song is from Queen and David Bowie's "Under Pressure." The Queen version is one of my favorite songs from my running playlist.

Since I decided to run every day and not allow a rest day(s) I've had to deal with muscle aches as my body adjusts. Then, mix in my fall last week and we've got a painful combination.

As I took on this challenge, I've also taken to (well not quite taken too) ice baths.
My ice baths are certainly not these pretty setups like professional athletes.



More like me dumping what ice is left in my ice bin into the tub, while my faucet fills the tub with water as cold as I can get it. Nothing fancy but it does the job.

When I prepared to take my first one I thought I would be like this-



But it actually wasn't that bad and it made a world of difference.
More on the benefits of ice baths from the professionals over at Runner's World.

Besides ice baths- my routine is the same as most runners. I stretch and heat a problem area before running. After a run, I ice certain areas if I am not taking an ice bath.

And that is how I deal with the aches and pains from running every day, my back injury, and nagging left knee/leg issues....WORD TO YOUR MOTHER!

Images from here and here.


2 comments:

Harry Hampster said...

Nice word to YOUR mother!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.