Sunday, July 31, 2011

Cat and Mouse

After a super sappy, serious post last week- I am keeping it lighthearted.

This past Thursday my running partner and I returned to the pavement together after a long hiatus. This summer has thrown off our running schedule a bit. I prefer to complete my runs in the morning. Early on this summer I arrived at Tom's at 7:30 in the morning for an a.m. run- let's just say that we never scheduled another morning run.

It has been so hot here in DC that running in the afternoon, when Tom is out of work, makes my stomach queasy just thinking about it. But last week we got a break from the heat and humidity so we decided to get out there together.

However, together isn't the best way to describe it. Tom's speed as increased considerably since we began running together last year. My speed has increased too, just not enough to keep up with Tom. In addition, Tom likes to run hard and fast, then take a short walk break. Where as I prefer to run slower and aim to avoid any walking breaks because my goal is to run the Suntrust Half Marathon in Richmond this November so I've got to work on logging more miles.

So our runs have turned into a cat and mouse chase. Tom runs ahead while I work to catch up, then Tom stops to walk, while I run past him. This pattern continues for most of our runs.


(image taken from here)

Even though we are no longer running side-by-side, I am grateful for our runs "together."

To keep with the lighthearted theme, here is a little blast from the past- Tom and I back in the day.....this looks like my junior year of high school. So I'd be 16 years old and Tom is 14.
Who knew that little kid next to me would be beating me during our runs...


No comments: